Monday, July 14, 2008

Listening

Yoga
Some notes from Carlos Pomeda's video The Wisdom of Yoga, Volume I:
The Upanishads lay out the Mukya - antaraiga - sadhana, the principal aids to liberation, or the method of achieving enlightenment:
  1. sravana - listening: the kind of listening that excludes everything else
  2. manana - reflection: thinking through as a cow chews to prepare the food for digestion
  3. nididhyasana - meditation: as a swan separates milk from water in a lake, you absorb what is useful or relevant
I like this because it is a very humble and open approach to learning.  How does your indoctrination into the world affect your ability to be objective, to approach new information without judgement?  I find that I often react with anger when faced with ideas that I have devalued.  My goal for the next four weeks is to observe my filters, set them aside and to approach all new information as objectively as I can.  I'm just going to work on listening.  I expect that this will have far-reaching effects, not only on my yoga practice, but quite possibly in my relationships.  Will the ability to listen without judgement result in compassion?


No comments: